Talk:Acronyms and Terminology Specific to My Big TOE
- I have noticed that the use of acronyms is not consistent on this wiki. It seems that perhaps we should stick to the acronym methods used in the Trilogy. Here's what I suggest:
- I will create a page called Acronyms and Terminology Specific to My Big TOE. This will be a mirror of the acronym pages found in book 1, 2 and 3. This page will have the Acronyms listed in a table with the Descriptive Names out beside each Acronym. The Descriptive Names will point to the actual pages for the Descriptive Names.
- Each Descriptive Name page will have a twin acronym name page that will simply redirect to the Descriptive Name page. For example in the table there will be the Acronym IUOC with Individuated Units of Consciousness out beside it as the Descriptive Name. If a person is on the List of Acronyms page the Descriptive Name (Individuated Units of Consciousness) will internally link to the internal Descriptive Name page. If a person is on any other page they should not be seeing Descriptive Names, instead they should be seeing Acronyms (IUOC) just like in the Trilogy.
- With this new setup it will allow the editors to simply use the acronyms as internal links in their pages and with the redirects in place this will land visitors directly on the Descriptive Name pages if they click the acronym.
- Each Descriptive Name page will be in a category that will allow all of the Descriptive Names to be grouped together on a category page that will also point back over to the Acronyms and Terminology Specific to My Big TOE page.
- Everyone will agree to use only the Acronyms in their pages once this is in place and instructions will be added to the editor instructions page.
- I will create the initial Descriptive Names page and the redirects. It will be everyone's job to fill in content for the Descriptive Name pages.
- Community Portal updated to include Acronyms and Terminology Specific to My Big TOE
I think some of the pages I've been working on would be good candidates to link to in this page, but I'm not sure what your plans were for it. --Michael Saganski 10:20, 22 June 2011 (CDT)
Yes, I was going to go through every page and update appropriately, does this sound like a good plan? I feel like it will add consistency and easier access to clarity on these terms. See: Members_Work_Areas for my plans. --David Mathis 10:22, 22 June 2011 (CDT)
Looks good. The only thing I would comment on is that not all terminology used is an acronym. I imagine these will be included as well, they just won't have an acronym page that redirects to the actual description. --Michael Saganski 11:18, 22 June 2011 (CDT)
That's correct Michael. --David Mathis 11:39, 22 June 2011 (CDT)
David, I'm not sure I should mess with your table :), but I would like to see "Rule Set" and "Helper" added. --Darryl Rogers 21:43, 22 June 2011 (CDT)
LOL, it just looks scarier than it really is. I added it. I am sure there are others that are missing, just let me know. --David Mathis 21:48, 22 June 2011 (CDT)
David, are you going to have a separate "Terminology" table for terms like "Helper", which do not have an acronym, but need to have a definition for readers not familiar with the term? --Darryl Rogers 22:05, 22 June 2011 (CDT)
Never mind, I see how you will handle the above -- you already have the example "Big Cheese" in your table. --Darryl Rogers 22:08, 22 June 2011 (CDT)
I am really liking how this page is turning out and all of the wiki's hidden power I find each day. This is some very robust software. --David Mathis 22:11, 22 June 2011 (CDT)
Good stuff, I've edited my pages to incorporate this standard. Feel free to edit if I've missed something. --Michael Saganski 23:10, 22 June 2011 (CDT)
Thanks, I am still working on the redirects. Should have them done soon. This entire wiki is good stuff, you guys are doing an awesome job. --David Mathis 23:13, 22 June 2011 (CDT)
It appears to me, in order to avoid occasional conflicts with the Acronyms and Definitions (A&D) section page titles, that Category subtopic page titles that happen to discuss the same defined term in greater detail and use the same term as the A&D page title should be prefaced with the Category Title placed just before the Category subtopic page title -- so as to create a page separate from the A&D "definitions" pages (in cases where they conflict).
The A&D pages (with the same title as the latter half of the Category subtopic page title) will certainly also be linked within the more detailed discussion and "fleshing out" of the Category subtopic page.
This would be necessary only occassionally -- where a topic briefly defined like a dictionary entry in the A&D section pages needed to be more heavily discussed and fleshed out further, like an encylopedia entry -- with reference to the A&D entry page as part of the discussion text.
Anyway, I have run into this problem with a page extensively discussing "Quality of Consciousness" under the "Personal Evolution and Growth" Category. That was my solution to differentiate the Category subtopic discussion page from the Definition Page -- while referencing the other short "definition page" as part of the discussion --Darryl Rogers 23:53, 24 August 2011 (CDT)
Sure, that makes sense to me. --Michael Saganski 21:05, 26 August 2011 (CDT)